Μετάφραση

Sunday 6 April 2014

Tragic Lantern (Branch for Canon 6D) to implement GPS-Auto-Off feature

One of Canon's 6D flaws is that the integrated GPS feature drains the battery if you don't remember to turn it off in every single session or when the camera is not used.  You can have the camera turned off, but the GPS still drains the battery as it was not related to camera operation at all.  Well back in December I purchased an EOS 6D and kept finding my battery drained within days of use, something that did not happen with my EOS 60D that uses the same battery type.
I started searching for the cause and I found out the cause was the GPS that would not turn off when the camera went to sleep or even when I turned it off by using the power button.
Having used Magic Lantern before, I knew this was my only hope since Canon refused to answer any of my mails regarding this issue.  Even now, some months after the initial launch of 6D they keep ignoring the issue.  I have said it once and I will say it again, if it weren't for these guys I would have abandoned Canon hardware a long time ago.
I created the issue in January and at the time we were only two people asking for this feature.  Not before long, some other people joined the issue request forum and at 20th of March the finished version that implemented the GPS Auto-Off feature was a fact!  What I could not understand was that the guys received so little thanks for their accomplishment.  I mean, nobody else uses Tragic Lantern on their EOS 6D?  No one dares?  No one cares?
Having these thoughts on my mind I am providing you with the link to Tragic Lantern firmware that implements GPS Auto-off and has saved me a lot of swearing because of battery drainage.
Visit the Tragic Lantern forum and give these guys at least a nice word and a "thank you"!  They deserve it!


Visitors