Μετάφραση

Friday 13 December 2013

Photos from 2006-2008 and RAW conversion

The search for the best RAW conversion program for the years 2006 to 2008 was a primary target and I tried to get the best amount of details without introducing too much noise into the photos.  That period, I came to a point that I had to make a decision regarding which path to take and devote my efforts to it.  I could either chose the path to learning how to frame effectively or the path to how to best extract the details out of a photo (keep in mind that I had an entry-level DSLR camera with poor lens at my disposal and a 6-megapixel sensor).  I could not follow both paths at the same time, since I could not be taught effectively from two masters the tricks (like the dogs also can't).  So, I decided to focus my efforts on extracting the best amount of details, giving value to my poor equipment by making it work more effectively.


I have to say that I am most pleased with my decision since it took a lot of time and lessons to extract a fair amount of detail out of my photos and I could not have done it without concentration and testing many ways in the same direction.  I had to test once and twice the settings I tried, find papers on sharpening parameters and ways other people used to reduce noise and increase clarity and details.

 
A ship sunk at Gialova sea (now removed).  This photo was one of the first to try RAW file format.

Occasionally I tried some framing and thematic photos, but my real challenge was in details!

I didn’t want my photos to look good viewed at just 800 pixels or 1024 and I was really happy when I finally saw sharpness and details pop out when I zoomed at 100%.  I was never satisfied with mediocre sharpened details or noise that could not be eliminated even though I knew my equipment was far from my accepted quality standards.  I never liked blurred, out of focus or shaken images and I worked too hard by comparing 100% zoomed pictures to one another in order to find the best combination of ISO, shutter speed, Aperture and time of day my photos looked their best.

 
Extreme macro without crop of a dragonfly. Kenko extension tubes (36mm+24mm+12mm) + Sigma AML on a Sigma 70-300 Macro APO Super II @ f22 and 190mm with on-board flash!

One shallow depth photo using my Standard Canon 18-55mm lens @ 50mm, f5.6, 1/160 and ISO 200


I had no ready answers even though I searched and Googled and was advised by many photographers that thought they had their own answers to my sharpening problem.  Their answers were working for them, but not for me.  And I had my own issues with accurate color conversion from the early versions of Lightroom and Capture One Pro regarding White Balance etc.  I divided my issues to smaller parts like “Best Shooting settings”, “Best Post Processing regarding Color Accuracy”, “Best Post Processing regarding Sharpening and Details”, “Best Noise Reduction on ISOs 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600” etc and worked each part separately until I was satisfied with the results. 

 
This dragonfly was shot with Sigma 70-300@300mm, f20, ISO 400 and 1/160 in direct sunlight (no noise correction)

Handheld using Sigma 70-300@300mm, f10, ISO 400 at 1/640 with no noise correction


I am still trying to improve everything I can at the moment and with each camera I change, the presets need to be revised and improved.  After I managed to understand how the detail and post processing procedures make or break a photo, I focused on best framing of my subjects and other techniques about shooting in a dark environments, long exposure during daylight, noise reduction etc.  I am still learning and I consider myself a student that will not be satisfied by what he already knows.  I try to implement to my work what I have learned over the years, but sometimes it is difficult to escape my daily commitments to work, family and myself.

 
Sigma 70-300@300mm, f10, ISO 400, 1/320 with some noise correction due to darkening the photo

Lucky shot! Sigma 70-300@300mm, f7,1, ISO 400, 1/2000 and extremely cropped


I consider myself committed to photography as an idea, but I would not mind selling my photos in order to finance new and better equipment.  In fact this is crucial in personal improvement when I reach the potential of my equipment.  And this happens occasionally faster than I would like to admit to myself.

 
One of my most extreme closeups. Canon EOS 400D (10 mpixel), Sigma 70-300@300mm, f16, ISO 100, 25 seconds with Sigma AML+Extension Tubes (36mm+24mm+12mm)

This is a larger version of the photo before.  The spray effect was done by directly spraying water on the glass Aghia Sofia. Sigma 70-300@108mm f7,1, ISO 200, 1/60


When I decided to use my existing equipment for macro photography I reached the limits of my software and hardware (pure glass).  Since I could only buy the least expensive accessories I could only expect a mediocre performance and, to be honest, I was happy with the details when I resized the photos to 1024 pixels resolution on the long edge with only 6 megapixels to use.  I could not have expected more than physics provided when I used a Sigma 70-300mm tele-macro lens @ 300 mm, with 3 extension tubes (36mm+24mm+12mm) and a Sigma Achromatic Macro Lens giving maximum magnification possible and when I cropped the photo even more I had a vast amount of magnification few photographers could imagine with such low hardware cost.

 
Sigma 70-300@108mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/200 on tripod. Shot on a white plate which I turned blue with Canon's DPP RGB settings

Sigma 70-300@108mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/200 on tripod. Shot on a white plate which I turned yellow with Canon's DPP RGB settings

Sigma 70-300@108mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/200 on tripod. Shot on a white plate which I turned bloody red with Canon's DPP RGB settings

Sigma 70-300@108mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/200 on tripod. Shot on a white plate which I turned blue with Canon's DPP RGB settings

Drops, flowers, insects with ISO 100-800, Aperture f8 to f22 with Kenko Extension Tubes, Achromatic Macro Lens, on board or external flash and proper timing all contribute to straining equipment performance towards the bad performance end.  But at least I had a descent start and satisfied my curiosity (that didn't killed my cat!) and have spent less than needed to achieve satisfactory results and learn what my poor equipment was capable of.

Happy snowman was created at 2008.  Nothing much than Canon 400D and Canon 18-55@55mm, f5.6, ISO 100, 1/60 with on board flash.

Visitors