Μετάφραση

Saturday 25 January 2014

Evolution…

It’s been a while since our last communication and I am happy to say that my equipment upgrade is almost complete and initial tests are under evaluation.  What I always try to do with new equipment parts is to reach their limits, find the strong and week points and what I can do with it.  To my surprise I have gained a lot with this upgrade in terms of quality and performance.  In fact, this was a massive upgrade since I changed all my lenses in addition to my camera.  

I recently gave up my Canon 60D for a Canon 6D, a full frame DSLR with better High ISO performance, GPS and WiFi (although I am trying to find a way so that GPS turns off when the camera goes to sleep and I have found support from the guys at Tragic Lantern, which is a branch of Magic Lantern add-on firmware).  I hope this goes well since I got response, but you can also vote for resolving the issue here.
 
Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, ISO 320, f1.8, 1/320

Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, ISO 500, f2.8, 1/320

Apart from the Camera upgrade, it was necessary to sell all my crop factor lenses and buy their full frame equivalents, or as close as I could manage.  So I sold my precious Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX, Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and my old faithful Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro Super II.  I replaced them with Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and I am planning on purchasing a long tele such as Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM.

Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, ISO 200, f2.8, 1/320

Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, ISO 200, f1.8, 1/320

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, ISO 100. f8, 1/400
To complete weather sealing and still keep the best image quality I made my research and changed all my filters, based on the tests made here for uv filters and here for polarizers and I can verify the results.  In fact I had a softness problem with my previous Hoya Polarizer and bought the Marumi (tested in the second row) and I was simply amazed by the results!  It was tack sharp and without any softness, something I was expecting from my Hoya polarizing filter, but it was never delivered.  The Hoya UV filters though, were as expected clean and crisp, so no surprises here.

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, ISO 100, f8, 10 seconds
One thing I knew about my previous lenses was that my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX was an exceptional piece of equipment, so I had the same expectations for the lens that I had replaced it with, the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM.  However, this was not the case at all!  I had weird softness on each corner that did not improve until the point that diffraction occurred (almost f16).  I am disappointed and I am currently try to find out what’s wrong with it by planning on comparing two different lenses together sometime next week or so.  Having checked some internet photos of the same lens, I made a rough conclusion that it is the specific lens or the combination with the camera that causes the issue.  So , I keep satisfaction on hold for now for this lens.
 
Tamron 500mm f8 mirror, ISO 320, 1/1000
On the other side, my portrait Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and general zoom Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM are simply astounding!  I tried them both on my Canon 60D and Canon 6D and the results were similar and amazing.  Very clean and sharp images, amazing quality and they do whatever they advertise very effectively.  In addition my two cameras focused very accurately with both lenses, something essential when Auto Focus is used all the time.  I really tend to manual focus most of the time when I shoot landscapes or when focusing is slow and critical.

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror, ISO 1000, 1/1000
Having tested a friend’s Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM I also expect similar very good results from this lens and I have also got the Tamron 500mm f8 mirror that performs really well with my Canon 6D. The Tamron 500mm f8 mirror is an old manual lens for film cameras that I have converted to EOS mount via an adaptall-2 to EOS adapter.  Its focal length is long enough for almost every tele need and its fixed aperture of f8 makes it a little dark, so a boost in ISO is almost always required for sharp results.  This is all I can do with my budget and that will have to suffice.

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror, ISO 4000, 1/3200
Please note that I have used external links for the detailed reviews of hardware I owned or recently bought.  In this case I have used links from the digital picture because the guys do a very good job there.

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror, ISO 4000, 1/3200

Visitors